Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Welcome to Bed Rest


First let me say I AM FINE! I should have known when I told Charles he did not need to go to this appointment with me it would turn out more eventful then expected. My last few visits have consisted of my weigh in (I feel like I am the Biggest Gainer instead of the Biggest Loser), ask me some questions, take my blood pressure, listen to the baby's heartbeat and then I go home.
It started off with my doctor telling me that I "must have had a very good Christmas holiday" due to my weight gain since my previous appointment. He did not take into consideration the fact it was 3pm and I had just eaten lunch and had consumed at least 4 bottles of water...so now that I feel like a fat pig my appointment only gets better. He asked me if I have had any changes and I nonchalantly told them I was experiencing some tightness in my abdomen and it sometimes felt like menstrual cramps. To my surprise my doctor made me get an exam (which left me in tears) and then told me I needed to go to the hospital to be hooked up to a fetal monitor to measure my contractions. Then he says in passing, "I want you on bed rest for the rest of the week." WHAT!?!?!?!?! Keep in mind I am by myself....no wonderful husband by my side which is completely my fault so don't blame him. I go over to the hospital and lay in a bed with these things strapped around my waist monitoring my contractions and the baby's heart rate/movements. I honestly was more irritated than worried because I really felt my doctor over reacted. I know it is better to be safe than sorry but I just assumed I was having some Braxton Hicks contractions and he would tell me it was normal and I would be on my merry way. The nurse at the hospital was rather impressed with Addison's activity level, she asked me how far along I was. When I said 27 and a half weeks she was shocked. She said she has full term babies not as active as ours so that I should be thankful to have such a healthy active little one. My bladder also thanks Addison for her activity level! :)

So after three and a half hours of being with doctors they tell me everything is OK and I need to rest for the remainder of the week to see if the contractions stop. I called my doctor and asked if I could please go back to work and he sad no along with a "And don't ask me again. Enjoy your bed rest."

I feel fine. I just have the normal uncomfortable feeling of pressure and the occasional "contraction" that is not painful at all. I am allowed to return to work Monday. I am looking at the bright side of this bed rest, I can now stay up and watch the whole Gator game Thursday night knowing I can sleep in Friday!

Go Gators!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! So glad things are ok, though. Better to keep her cookin' a little while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the week but glad things are ok. Keep us posted of what the doctor says

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was getting nervous as I read along, but was relieved when I read things are ok! Best OK I've heard in a while...

    Keep us posted. Love you three....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my darling! I went on bed rest around March (when Kate was due in June.) I was home 2.5 weeks or so. I finally went back to work, but it was in a wheelchair! My students loved it! I had the same symptoms as you....I ended up on pills I had to take every 4 hours, including using the alarm clock to wake up in the night to take them. Rest of the story... all ended up well and she was 3 weeks LATE!! Love you! Aunt M.

    ReplyDelete